Monday 16 May 2011

Knitted Fabric in Resin

Today I wanted to experiment with the material I want to use and the effect that resin will have on it to hold it's shape. I want the fabric to clearly follow the shape of the objects I am going to recreate so I need to make sure that this method will work for that, but I also want the feel and look of the fabric to be preserved in a way to get a more authentic look to the objects.
  
This was the experiment:




What I found was that when dried the material did keep some properties but not completely and in some places it was lost completely because of the shape it was being formed in to. I also noticed that the more intricate and tighter stitched fabrics lost a lot more of their original texture and look than the looser fabrics. This is probably because they absorbed more resin which stayed in the fabric when dried compared to the looser ones where the resin had more gaps to creep out of. My personal favourite piece from this experiment is the rounded crochet pattern (number 4), this is because to me it really resembles a soldiers helmet and because of the stitching and the colour, it also looks feminine.

In summary I think that this method works and I like the historical links to the way that the planes were fabricated, but it is limited and I think the mixture of wool and resin isn't suitable for more detailed objects. One thing I would like to try next is trying other types of fabric in the resin like lace and cotton to see the effects that resin has on those and also to try other methods of stiffening the knitted fabric that can keep the properties of it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment