Thursday 19 May 2011

Making the Cigarette Packet

I decided to firstly create the cigarette packet as it seemed the most simple one to start off with and I had a good reference:


The lucky strike brand of cigarettes




Dimensions:  2.25 X 2.8 INCHES (unsure of depth)

This brand of cigarettes were given to soldiers for free and though being an American brand some British troops smoked them. To make them in a feminine way I used felt, old socks and embroidery. I chose this because looking at the items such as the "Dig for Victory" embroidered poster as well as the make do an mend initiative meant I was using similar techniques to that of what the women in WW2 did, linking the masculine and the feminine.




I think overall this went well, although the stitching is somewhat crude, I like that about it because it adds a human element to it because it was hand sewn. I also realised that I can keep some objects that I am creating soft, rather than using resin or PVA etc. on them and they will retain shapes, though I don't think this will work as much on a larger scale where more structural support would be needed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment