Thursday 19 May 2011

Objects I would Like to Create

From looking at the things in the war museum and after the research I have been doing I have got an idea of what objects I want to re-create in a feminine way.

1. Demob suitcase

2. Gas Mask

3. Grenade

4. Helmet

5. Cigarette pack

6. Boots

7. Letter from home

8. Gun

This may turn out to be too many objects to create in the time I have left, but these are what I would like to have done.

I have also been considering the ways that the women made things in this time to give the feminine feel to the objects. The main ones I have found are knitting, crochet and sewing which were all important for the Make do and Mend initiative set up by the Ministry of Information. I also found the plane fabrication interesting and the result from the wool and resin experiment shows that I can make some objects in this way. In the Make Do and Mend book there are also tips on creating decorative patches for reinforcing clothing, this gives me the idea of also using patchwork to create items from old clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment