Saturday 14 May 2011

Planes



From what I have been told by my Dad, during the war my Nan used to work in an aircraft factory. I never got the chance to ask her about it myself, but my Dad said she used to fabric ate the planes using some material and glue type stuff. As vague as that may be, I thought this was really interesting, especially for this project because this skill that my Nan and many other women during the war learnt they wouldn't have because the war provided them with the jobs. This method of making also sound to me a little like using resin on a material to make it hard (I plan to experiment with this next week), which can form shapes like what I want to create. 
Woman Working in WW2 Aircraft Factory


I researched this further and found that some aircrafts like the  De Havilland Mosquito were made entirely from wood and coated in the fabric and glue or monocoque. The fabric used on the Mosquito was Madapolam, a soft cotton fabric and that was coated with aircraft dope that hardens the fabric and make it more taut.






Sources:



No comments:

Post a Comment